I found a rug online that I just had to have for our daughters room. It’s not that I don’t have the money to buy it, it’s more that having literally *just* moved I had better and bigger things to spend money on. Plus, I thought I could make it, and we all like a challenge don’t we?
I found a rug in Ikea for £10, it’s a small square but it didn’t need to be very big for her room anyway. I have way too much red and white felt left over from something else so found a fabulous tutorial online (click here) to make my own toadstools. I was sceptical because I’ve had bad experiences with turning sewn felt the right way out through tiny holes before, but this tute’ was great.
After sewing and stuffing all the little red toadstools, I trimmed five small patches of rug away so that my adhesive had something other than long fibres to attach to. I decided eventually on extra strong stick on velcro, I didn’t want to use any super duper glue in case it pulled the felt away if they were pulled off too hard. So far it works, and the rug for £10 and a few hours was very much worth it!
POST DESTRUCTION EDIT: Even the super expensive strong velcro didn’t hold up to a two year old’s might, the hot glue gun came out and seems to be doing a pretty good job so far!